Monday 10 June 2013

Almost overnight odd things have begun happening to me.



A friend inquired solicitously if there was an event to explain my sudden change in behavior.  I could not think of anything right off, but then I remembered that our daughter Rachael and son-in-law Daniel Gillies recently told us that our first grandchild was on the way.

1.   The hair in my ears suddenly grew so thick I could not hear the cashier at the market.  I suggested she looked like she should be in middle school.  She let me know that she is 27, has three kids, an ex-husband in Georgia, no child support, and a peptic ulcer.  I told her I never used to call the store a market.

2.    I have taken to carrying a small change purse for coins and wrapping my bills and credit cards tightly in a rubber band.  This increases my checkout time so I regale those behind me in line with stories about how much each item used to cost.

3.     My pants (briefly referred to as slacks) are now called trousers.  They seem to fit better when they are hugging my ribcage and held up by both suspenders and a belt.  In shirts, flannel is the new black.

4.   My next automobile will probably be an Oldsmobile 88.  I want to get a little more car around me the way these young people whizz by talking on their hounds tooth telephones.  The mileage will not be as good as my Prius, but I never go over 35 mph anyway.

5.    Reading obituaries the other day I remarked that the afterlife must be mirthful because  families all mention that the deceased had a great sense of humor.  I have not met that many truly funny people.  The obit always suggests a donation in lieu of flowers, so how come there are so many flowers at funerals?  I shared these unique observations four days in a row with Mother.

6.  I called JoAnne “Mother” the other day.

7.   Dinner before 5:00 PM is called supper.  Early bird specials are great!  The food is fresher, you save money, and you get home before dark when all the hipsters and riff raff come out.

8.   I keep a rake by my side door so I can spring into action if skate boarders or stray dogs trespass onto my property.

9.   Rather than say, “I am going to crash,” I told Mother that I was a might tuckered and was not going to sleep, but just going to rest my eyes for a spell.

10.   People on television need to speak up!  I have noticed that almost all of them mumble and it is hard to make out what they are saying.   That Howard Cosell, you didn’t always agree with him, but you at least you could hear him!



Tom H. Cook a displaced local writer has transitioned from fogey to codger in preparation for becoming a grandparent this fall.  (Google Rachael Leigh Cook to see a photo of the happy couple.)  Shameless plug: Rachael, the Barton Open School graduate, returns as F.B.I. agent Kate Moretti in Season Two of Perception on TNT June 25th.     


 

No comments:

Post a Comment